Saturday, March 20, 2010

Angelwing Jasmine - Jasminum laurifolium nitidum


I love gardens that have such a fragrant scent that it sticks with you as you walk by. Our garden came with a very mature Daphne plant that produces the nicest perfume and it's right by our front door so you smell it as you walk up the stairs. I like it so much that I planted four more of them - one kind that blooms in the spring and one kind that blooms in summer/fall, thinking that I could have Daphne fragrance almost year round. In my attempt to add more fragrance, last week I planted a jasminum laurifolium nitidum otherwise known as angelwing or shining jasmine.


This type of jasmine likes sun and is distinctive because it has white flowers with purple buds. It also seems to grow like a weed in my neighborhood, which I'm hoping is a good indicator of hardiness. I like plants that thrive on their own and are low maintenance.

Here it is growing on my neighbor's gate - it provides a really nice scent year-round:


Here it is growing up a trellis in the neighborhood:


And growing up a staircase in the neighborhood - this jasmine seems to go particularly well with Victorians:

And here is the little jasmine that I planted last weekend - it doesn't look like it's doing that well, but I'm hoping it will pull through. I tied it to the trellis with the hope that it will eventually grow around it, improving that forgotten corner of the garden and creating a nice scent at our front door (it's located right next to the door).


Stay tuned! If it survives I'll post some pictures of it when it matures...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time for you personally to share such a nice info. I truly favor to reading your post

    _________________________
    Best perfumes store online

    ReplyDelete